Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Caesar Creek Race Report Day 35

Caesar Creek Tri is usually one of the more competitive races of the season due to the location between Columbus and Cincinnati. I found out during the week that the bike leg was changed to an older course that was used previously by HFP. I looked at my times and they were at 1:17 for the entire Tri back in 2006. I know that I could beat that and last year I did a 1:13:20 with a similar course.

The water temp was 76 degrees which permitted wet suits. I still wanted to wear my full suit no matter what. However, once we got into the water and I started on a good pace I was feeling overheated half way through. Eventhough I was getting overheated, I was able to keep up with the main pack of swimmers throughout the swim. The only one that took off from us all was Ross Hartley. He was around 2 minutes from everyone at the end of the swim with rest of us within a minute of each other. Looking down at my watch it said 10:57 but I was at least 30 seconds from the timing mat, but still a great time for sure. Todd Ricketts was just behind me along with Sean Williams. Chris Cain, Shannon Kurek, Zach Aust and a young 27 year old was in front of me within a minute. My swim time was 11:37 Total. Coming into transition I could see Shannon taking out of T1 along with Chris, Todd, Sean and Zach right behind. I was leaving T1 when I heard that Brian Barker had just got into T1 and I thought I didn't give myself enough time between Brian and I to beat him today. Bad negative thoughts for sure. I knew I would have to push it even harder to try and get some distance on the bike between Brian and I. My transition time was :55 and it was my best one of the year yet with no issues.

During the bike I passed Sean and then Sean passed me and then I passed him again for good all within the first 4 miles on the bike course. The course was a rolling hills with a couple of climbs, but mostly flat after that. Coming onto the last 3 miles I could see that Sean gaining on me again with Brian right behind him gaining as well. I finally got into transition with Sean and Brian right on my wheels where I had the 7th best bike time of the day at 33:30. Again, my transition was great with a :51 with no issues, but Brian and Sean beat me out of transition along with Zach and the other young guy that I didn't know. Todd was way up there with the three front leaders. The run was an out and back course along the dam that at times was pretty rough due to the gravel and all the turns getting to the dam. However, it was a flat course to run and pretty shading as well. I set into a good pace and maintained it throughout the run. I averaged a 6:55 for each mile throughout the run but didn't try to push it at all and just cruised in within 45 seconds of Brian in 10 place overall for the race. My final time was 1:08:26 with Brian's at 1:07:40. Lessons learned for the race: Tighten up on my transition and reduce 10 seconds on each T1 and T2 and push a little harder on the run and not relax so much. At one point on the bike I zoned out and let Sean and Brian come up to me which was a mistake for sure. That might have cost me with beating Brian. Next race is the White Star Tri, 8th race in 8 weeks this Saturday.

No comments: